[debian-knoppix] Solution: Boot from "empty" CD without floppy drive.

I hate to reply to my own question, but I have a success story.

Yes it is possible to make an "empty" Knoppix boot CD.

This is a noise reduction solution for me:
* My CD drive spin like hell and make noise when I boot Knoppix from CD.
    The noise stop when everthing is in the cache, but still.
* I choosed to copy the KNOPPIX file on HD, but my floppy (now needed to
boot)
    is also very noisy. The noise is only there at startup but booting take
time and
    I have to carry my external floppy drive with me. My HD make less noise.

So I choose to take the best of both world...

In a knoppix root shell, I did copy the boot.img file from /cdrom to an empy
directory:
    cd /tmp
    mkdir foo
    cp /cdrom/boot.img foo
Then I created a new iso CD image:
    mkisofs -b boot.img -o boot.iso foo
Then I burned my new bootable CD (make some test with rewritable first)
    cdrecord -scanbus
    cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 boot.iso

Now you have a bootable cdrom almost empty with floppy emulation of your
boot floppy.
It boot amazingly fast and spin for only a few second at startup.
You don't need floppy driver anymore.

You could also put a lot of data on that new cd of yours.
I would suggest randomly choosen MP3^H^H^HOgg from your collection
or an additional set of tools that are not build into knoppix.

I am still searching a way to "dual boot" between Win2k and knoppix.
I would like to teach W2K how to boot knoppix.
This might invove putting the floppy on a HD partition,
but I have never attempted that before.
Any advice is welcome.

David GLAUDE

PS: The suggested command-line above are writen from memory.
    It is not a dump/history of what I have done.
    Make sure you read  the man page of mkisofs and cdrecord.
    No garantee it work for you, YMMV.