Boot from "empty" CD? Re: [debian-knoppix] Modifying packages on Knoppix CD

> I also have some suggestions for Knoppix.  I primarily use the Knoppix CD
> >from my notebook to perform various forms of security scanning and
testing.
> Newer notebooks do not ship with a floppy drive, and when they do have
this
> option it's expected to swap

I have the same kind of issue with booting a laptop from floppy or CD or ???
Basicaly when I want to boot I need my external floppy driver.
It is extra weight I have to carry with me.

I want to investigate alternative way of booting without the need of a
floppy driver.
I want to burn a CD with only the image of the floppy inside (not the
KNOPPIX dir).
And continue to put KNOPPIX on my HD (that way I can upgrade without burning
a new CD).

So a few question:
1) Was that attempted before, any success?
2) Does the floppy change frequently (less frequently than the KNOPPIX
file)?
REM: I have already successfully booted with old floppies and new KNOPPIX
dir.

My laptop is running w2k (shame on my company).
I know the bootloader from w2k can start another bootloader (LILO) if
install
into a partition (primary?).
I was wondering if it would be possible to teach w2k bootloader to boot
KNOPPIX for me.
Without a floppy/fullCD/emptyCD.
Maybe by creating a small floppy sized partion on my HD and copying the
floppy image in it???

So a few question again:
1) Was that attempted before, any success?
2) Do you know more about w2k boot process, any good reading on the internet
on that topic?

Thanks to all.