Re: Including a low-latency kernel images in Debian for use with CDD DeMuDi.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:53:31PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:20:26PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 08:48:29PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > The problem is that it does not scale. I don't think we can build more
> > > than around 10 image for i386.
> > Why not ? i386 is supposed to have nice and fast hardware, so this should not
> > be a major problem.
>
> On a fast machine, you need about 2 hours currently for the linux-2.6
> package on i386. The buildds are no fast machines.

Well, they could change the boxes to use fast machines, i guess it should be
no major problem, it is just that i386 users are spoiled by the majority of
DDs uploading x86.

Also, i guess it can be no worse than arm or m68k buildds, and even on my
pegasos i take around 9/10 hours to build the powerpc kernels.

This is a minor technical hurdle.

> > Also, we don't need to rebuild all flavours, only a few ones for select arches
> > and flavours.
>
> What do you mean?

the idea is to build a few flavours with the -RT patches, not all images, the
same as you only built a few flavours for the vserver patches, and i guess
only powerpc, i386 and amd64 need to be considered for now. So, you don't risk
an explosion of the number of flavours.