Re: Including a low-latency kernel images in Debian for use with CDD DeMuDi.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:49:54PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > 1) preempt (and other -RT features ?) are still too broken for enabling in the
> > main flavours.
>
> Yes, I think it's too large a patch to include unconditionally into
> mainline Debian kernel.

A patch ? What exactly are you speaking about ? I was talking about preempt,
which is now part of the mainline 2.6 tree, but not enabled by default.

> > 2) the kernel team has not the ressources to track these preempt flavours, and
> > the (load of) additional bug report they will create.
>
> > 3) it is now relatively easy to add preempt flavours, and from a technically
> > packaging infrastructure this would be a no brainer.
> >
> > So, given this, if the support of these -RT kernels will be handled only by
> > the existing kernel team, then there is no way we want to add those, but on
> > the other hand, if there is additional ressources added to the kernel team to
> > handle those flavours and the accompanying bug reports, we would be willing to
> > add a few select flavours. I guess those would be the i386, amd64, and powerpc
> > (at least the powerpcs and powerpc64 flavours, do we really need to care about
> > 32bit smp systems for this ?).
>
> I think we'll have a lot of problems with support SMP userland let
> alone kernel for -RT, so that will probably need some work.

Euh, powerpc64 is smp by default, and if i remember well, preempt is actually
easier to deal with in a smp-friendly case.

> My current plan is to maintain the -RT variant with guys working with
> debian-multimedia, so yes, this means new members joining in to
> debian-kernel team to look after bugs specific to -RT variants.

Cool, then.