Re: mkvmlinuz, boot-loaders and powerpc kernels.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 01:26:13PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > Some kind of alternative dependency on yaboot | quik | mkvmlinuz
> > would take care of fullfilling the dependency, without allowing
> > cruft to be installed, at least without needing yaboot and quik
> > where they are not needed, or letting mkvmlinuz pull in the binutils
> > dependency ?
>
> This does not cover the case where a system uses a method outside its
> own Debian packaging system, such as BootX or a BootP/TFTP server.
> Still, it's probably the best one can do with the control file.
>
> > Jens, would that be an acceptable solution ?
>
> To me this looks like the way to go.  I already exchanged a few
> messages with Manoj about a similar issue, namely packaging the boot
> glue into /usr/lib/kernel-image-<release>, which is now done by the
> debian/rules file of kernel-patch-powerpc.  We ended here:
>
> Jens:
>
> | May I suggest the following: We take care of the above two points by
> | adding a sub-architecture `generic' or `official' to powerpc and put
> | the necessary commands there.
>
> Manoj:
>
> | 	Sounds like a plan.

Jens, in your discussion with Manoj about this, where would the
generic-powerpc or whatever script reside ? In the kernel-package which
then includes it in each kernel-image file ? Or in a separate standalone
package which would be depended upon (which could also be the mkvmlinuz,
albeit renamed if you like), and more easily modifiable ?

The only problem with this i see is the mention of QuikDefault for
loaderdoc, altough i have no idea where it is taking this stuff from.