Re: powerpc kernel-patch 2.6.6-5 in incoming since over a month !!!

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:28:50PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > > The existing mkvmlinuz can do this if you put the line
> > > /boot/vmlinuz-$release in /etc/mkvmlinuz/output .
>
> > Well, it doesn't cost much by setting it by hand,
>
> Yes.
>
> > unless we want to set /etc/mkvmlinuz/output to it by default.
>
> There are packages that contain /boot/vmlinuz-$release, the risk of
> clobbering that by accident with a default setting is too high for my
> taste.

Well, only 2.4.25 packages, which is why we should make a test for non
2.4 kernels or something such. 2.4 kernels don't have the the necessary
mkvmlinuz magic to make it work anyway.

> > > mkvmlinuz works for both non-initrd and 2.4 kernels.
> >
> > Yeah, but what would happen if i tried to install a
> > kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-chrp package ? There would be no vmlinux
> > for it, and thus the problem.
>
> What exactly is the problem here?  Installing 2.4 and 2.6 side by side?

Well, these contain a vmlinuz, but no vmlinux, so mkvmlinuz, as called
by the post inst would fail, and also the problem you mentioned above.

> > Ok. I would still like to have kernel-image... depend on mkvmlinuz
> > though.
>
> On many systems it's perfectly reasonable to install a kernel-image
> package without mkvmlinuz.  So a dependency is too strong, a
> suggestion should be sufficient IMHO.

And how please do you want to make sure someone with a pegasos machine,
not knowing about a mkvmlinuz, will be able to boot its machine when he
thought he had installed the kernel-image package ? That would be a RC
bug, making the system unusable and all.

> > > Sounds good.  If Policy doesn't allow 3), the postinst could still
> > > check the file and present a warning.
> >
> > Why should it not ?
>
> Policy is not clear to me there, I need time to understand it.
>
> > You are asking the user if he would like to have it added, a bit
> > like passwd or whatever asking about changing the groups and
> > such.
>
> Actually, changing of /etc/passwd by base-passwd is explicitly allowed
> in the Policy and that's one of the things that puzzles me.  Why do
> they bother to allow that one case?
>
> > If this is not allowed by Policy, then the policy is buggy.
>
> In the past, when I thought there was a bug in Policy it eventually
> turned out to be in my brain.  Always.
>
> > I hope to have this in the alioth svn repo soon though, and we can
> > then start moving the powerpc package there also.
>
> Can you please give me a very brief tutorial for checking things in
> and out?

Sure, but once the repository is there. The difficult thing is the first
checkout, after you just do update and ci kind of stuff.