Re: powerpc kernel-patch 2.6.6-5 in incoming since over a month !!!

Hi,

Sven Luther writes:

> how would mkvmlinuz act if there were no vmlinux installed, but only
> a vmlinuz ?

It exits with a non-zero exit status.

> > Since the postinst comes from kernel-package, you need to sort this
> > out with Manoj.
>
> Well, that would be a possibility. The other possibility would be to
> depend on mkvmlinuz, [...] Is installing mkvmlinuz such a problem,
> especially if you have a subarch aware debconfified postinst ?

On many systems, it is perfectly reasonable to not install mkvmlinuz.
Therefore, "Depends" is definitely too strong.  IMHO "Suggests" is
just about right.

> > If I had filed a grave bug every time I hosed one of my systems
> > because I didn't know something, we'd be approaching #300000 now.
>
> But debian would be a more stable and usable system by now too.

Maybe.  Or maybe more bugs would be closed immediately with nothing
but an RTFM.  Who knows.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!