Re: powerpc kernel-patch 2.6.6-5 in incoming since over a month !!!

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:43:36PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Dear Sven,
>
> > Ok, i have written such a one, well it is fairly basic, and does :
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > mkvmlinuz -k $2 -o /boot/vmlinuz-$1
>
> The existing mkvmlinuz can do this if you put the line
> /boot/vmlinuz-$release in /etc/mkvmlinuz/output .  We could also
> deduce the locations of the compressed image from the location of the
> uncompressed image, but IMHO it's better to bail out.

Well, it doesn't cost much by setting it by hand, unless we want to set
/etc/mkvmlinuz/output to it by default.

> > Mmm, we should probably check $1 to make sure it is a initrd kernel or
> > something such,
>
> mkvmlinuz works for both non-initrd and 2.4 kernels.

Yeah, but what would happen if i tried to install a
kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-chrp package ? There would be no vmlinux for
it, and thus the problem.

> > Well, if we are not allowed to do it, then we can forget about
> > automatic installation of non yaboot using subarches kernel.  Also,
> > this file is generated by yaboot-installer on a new install.
>
> The installation system is different because it's not a package and
> therefore Policy doesn't apply.

Sure, but we need to find a solution for the normal case, let's say when
you use debootstrap to install, or something such.

> > Yep, but this script could also be contained in the kernel packages
> > or something such.
>
> It's not necessary for all users of the kernel-image packages.  And it
> has its uses independent of the official kernel-image packages (I use
> it to flange the d-i kernel and initrd together for Newworld Powermacs
> example).

Ok. I would still like to have kernel-image... depend on mkvmlinuz
though.

> > A debconf question in the mkvmlinuz postinst would be the way to go, in
> > my opinion, since mkvmlinuz would already be postinsted when the
> > kernel-image is postinsted, not sure though, maybe the kernel-image
> > should pre-depend on mkvmlinuz then or something such.
> >
> > Also, i believe that a mkvmlinuz debconfed question would be in order
> > anyway. It should :
> >
> >   1) detect the subarch you are on.
> >   2) depending on subarch, propose to run mkvmlinuz or not.
> >   3) if the user chooses mkvmlinuzization, add the postinst_hook to the
> >   /etc/kernel-img.conf file.
> >   4) maybe warn or something if kernel-img already contains a
> >   postinst_hook.
>
> Sounds good.  If Policy doesn't allow 3), the postinst could still
> check the file and present a warning.

Why should it not ? You are asking the user if he would like to have it
added, a bit like passwd or whatever asking about changing the groups
and such. If this is not allowed by Policy, then the policy is buggy.

> > Well, the real problem would be handling of this file by multiple
> > users/packages, Manoj, could you give us your opinion on this ?
>
> I just looked up the relevant section (10.7.4, shared configuration
> files) and have to admit that I'm at a loss.  I need to think about
> this a bit more, and it would help greatly if Manoj commented on the
> issue, since he introduced this file and wrote the manpage.

Ok, Manoj, any comment (CCing you just in case you didn't catch the
discussion on debian-kernel).

> > What about the kernel-source ones ?
>
> There is no kernel-source-2.6.7 yet.  I threw together a tarball using
> vanilla 2.6.7 and the patches from Christoph and ignored the missing
> build-time dependency.  The tarball can be found at <URL:http://www.th
> eorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~jens/kernel-source-2.6.7.tar.bz2>, but
> as I said it contains the tainted drivers and should only be used for
> testing.

Ok, i have seen it, but i will for now use a standard upstream tarball
and drop the tg3 patch. As i understand this, we would then only need to
reenable the tg3 patch, and replace the upstream tarball to be able to
upload the debian package. I hope to have this in the alioth svn repo
soon though, and we can then start moving the powerpc package there
also.