Re: powerpc kernel-patch 2.6.6-5 in incoming since over a month !!!

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 09:41:58AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > how would mkvmlinuz act if there were no vmlinux installed, but only
> > a vmlinuz ?
>
> It exits with a non-zero exit status.
>
> > > Since the postinst comes from kernel-package, you need to sort this
> > > out with Manoj.
> >
> > Well, that would be a possibility. The other possibility would be to
> > depend on mkvmlinuz, [...] Is installing mkvmlinuz such a problem,
> > especially if you have a subarch aware debconfified postinst ?
>
> On many systems, it is perfectly reasonable to not install mkvmlinuz.
> Therefore, "Depends" is definitely too strong.  IMHO "Suggests" is
> just about right.

Jens, sorry, but this is bulshit. Please tell me what you gain by not
having a depends there ? what size is mkvmlinuz, and what is the benefit
in _NOT_ installing it ? And try to balance that against the benefit of
having the kernel work out of the box on not yaboot using subarches ?

And remember that _I_ will have to do the support of all those pegasos
users wich would then tell me "huh, i installed the
kernel-image-2.6.6-powerpc, and am now unable to boot the system".

If you are really going to insist in doing it this way, i would insist
that we create at least a package containing a special non-modular
pegasos friendly config, in chrp friendly format.

> > > If I had filed a grave bug every time I hosed one of my systems
> > > because I didn't know something, we'd be approaching #300000 now.
> >
> > But debian would be a more stable and usable system by now too.
>
> Maybe.  Or maybe more bugs would be closed immediately with nothing
> but an RTFM.  Who knows.

Well, maybe, but having a kernel installed which doesn't work is well
beyond the a simple RTFM, it _IS_ a RC level bug.