Re: Debian GNU/Linux as email & DNS server

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:30:24 +1100, Donovan Baarda
<abo@minkirri.apana.org.au> wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:47:54PM +1100, Donovan Baarda wrote:
>> Thanks for the heads up. It looks like courier is the go.
>
>Actualy, it seems courier-imap and courier-pop pull in a few extra support
>packages including some sort of authentication daemon and it's own inet
>daemon.

You don't need to use the autentication daemon if you dont plan to
have high load on your system. On a decently busy system, authdaemon
is a good thing to have.

couriertcpd vaguely resembles inetd but can do other things. Better
view it as general daemon code that would have had to be incorporated
in the MTA, popd and imapd otherwise.

I don't like that, but I clearly feel that courier is the least evil
in the market of pop3/imap servers at the moment.

>I would have abandoned courier when I discovered this, except that
>courier+support packages still works out smaller than
>(uw-imapd|ipopd)-ssl+support packages. I might still abandon it though if
>the setup looks too complex/overkill for my application.

If I had to choose between a package with an over-egoed author and a
few additional daemons and packages with a more than questionable
security history, I'd clearly choose the first of these two options.

Greetings
Marc