Re: Debian GNU/Linux as email & DNS server

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:47:54PM +1100, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:09:22AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:04:01 +1100 (EST), Donovan Baarda
[...]
> > I like Courier because it is one very flexible package and it does all
> > variants that might be needed: pop/imap in both ssl and non-ssl. There
> > is even an MTA which I have never looked at, though.
>
> Thanks for the heads up. It looks like courier is the go.

Actualy, it seems courier-imap and courier-pop pull in a few extra support
packages including some sort of authentication daemon and it's own inet
daemon. I haven't set it all up yet, but I feel a bit nervous about
installing fragments of a larger application that replicate functionality of
packages I already have installed. I'm particularly disturbed by extra
daemons.

I would have abandoned courier when I discovered this, except that
courier+support packages still works out smaller than
(uw-imapd|ipopd)-ssl+support packages. I might still abandon it though if
the setup looks too complex/overkill for my application.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key