Re: Debian GNU/Linux as email & DNS server

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:09:22AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:04:01 +1100 (EST), Donovan Baarda
> <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au> wrote:
> >As a matter of interest, what is the story with all the imap and pop
> >implementations? The debian woody "mailserver" task includes qpopper and uw-
> >imapd. What's wrong with the much smaller ipopd, which is uw-imapd's pop
> >counterpart?
>
> This is flame war material.

I had no idea that it would be a touchy subject... my enquiry was purely
innocent.

I'm just in the process of setting up the mailserver part of a new woody box
and was a little overwhelmed when I realised all the options.

When in doubt, I usually pick the smallest download. This is mainly because
I live on the end of a slow link, but also because I'm a KISS, anti-bloat
kinda guy. qpopper is about six times the size of the other popd's, how much
extra can a popd have?

> Generally, I keep my hands off any UW software because the UW people
> are not very security aware.
>
> >What are peoples experiences/comments? Are the ssl variants worth using?
>
> I like Courier because it is one very flexible package and it does all
> variants that might be needed: pop/imap in both ssl and non-ssl. There
> is even an MTA which I have never looked at, though.

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like courier is the go.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key