Re: Debian GNU/Linux as email & DNS server

Quoting Marc Haber <debian-isp.lists.debian.org@marc-haber.de>:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:13:27 +0100, "Davi Leal" <david.leal@ene.es>
> wrote:
> >We are going to use a debian box as email and DNS server. The goal is
[...]

My 2c and others on Debian MTA's can be found here;

http://www.debianplanet.org/debianplanet/article.php?sid=333

> I would like to recommend not using sendmail and qpopper unless you
> have a very good valid reason to use these.
[...]
> Try using exim, which is Debian's default MTA, and courier POP/IMAP.

As a matter of interest, what is the story with all the imap and pop
implementations? The debian woody "mailserver" task includes qpopper and uw-
imapd. What's wrong with the much smaller ipopd, which is uw-imapd's pop
counterpart? There is also an imapd package which is even smaller. Then there's
the courier imap and pop stuff, along with a host of others. When you throw in
the ssl variants, you get even more, though the non-US versions seem to be
lagging behind.

What are peoples experiences/comments? Are the ssl variants worth using?

--
ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more information.