Re: A few typos in debian-installer (Was: Re: [D-I] Variable subsitution (level2))

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 12:51:24PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

Christian,
all the time I wonder why you omit the name and date of the person you
reply to. Please try to reconfigure your mail client. The poster name
and the date (as in the first line of this mail) are important.

> > It seems you misunderstood my mail. It was never indented for you Frans
> > or Christian Perrier. It was intended for translators of debian
> > installer since I know that many read this list.
> >
> > I think I will wait a week until I will contact all translators directly which
> > did not respond up to this time. Another week later I will commit all
> > obvious errors by myself.
>
> I agree with most of this, except the last part..:-)

:-((

> I consider that, as i18n coordinators for d-i (see d-i i18n
> documentation), we (Frans, Davide, Dennis Stampfer and myself) have a
> kind of moral contract with translators.
>
> We guarantee that no-one except them and *maybe us* when our Very High
> Wisdom (this is a joke...we are not always that wise...) will tell us
> to do so, will touch their translations....which is actually what I
> did for stuff I was 100% sure of.

OK. But this increases the work you have to do. I do not care whether I
fix errors directly or send it to you (via BTS or whatever) since I know
that you and Frans, ... are responsive.

> So, I would object to a general fix and suggest that you submit a
> patch when reaching the moment you describe above.
>
> This patch should really go to the BTS and not here, as suggested by
> Frans.

OK.

> Sending the initial patch to the list was, imho, a good idea as it
> triggered this whole conversation...and will already push some
> translators enough to fix their work.

Right.

> The tools you use seem anyway to be very good at spotting stuff that
> might be missed by Davide Viti's spellchecker so I suggest you both
> talk together to see what could be done to integrate your scripts to
> the spellchecker.

There is nevertheless also a lot of manual work involved. But I agree
that the results of the script should be published. I'm not able to fix
all languages (even if I try it sometimes :-))
I will contact Davide.

> Would this be fine for you, Jens?

Yes, it is.

Jens