Re: bug-reporting for non-English users

As a personal view, people should know English, especially if they use
computers. I know that's not the reality for everyone.

I'm trying to see this in the maintainer eyes:
I can't translate every mail (to/from) the user's language. Something
bug reports include many mails between the reporter/maintainer asking
for more details or suggesting fixes.

I don't think the overhead of translation there would be right.

> Can we really assume that everyone who needs to learn to use a
> computer, knows someone who speaks English and is willing to write
> bug reports for them?

Use the debian translation groups.
You can't say the don't know both languages (-:

> Is it not possible to send email in Hebrew? I thought it was.
Of course it's possible, but not preferred in places where not all can
read Hebrew.

Think how would debian-devel would have looked like if everyone sent
mail in their native language. Would you go to translate every mail?

Also, do you think the apt maintainers go and start to have their 400+
bugs translated just so they can understand them?

Your solution works for very low quantity of bug reports, not for
massive ones. This is why the "load" should be on the reporter.

Hope I convinced you.

--

Regards,

Lior Kaplan