Re: bug-reporting for non-English users

Thankyou for your reply, Lior.

On 29/04/2005, at 7:45 PM, Lior Kaplan wrote:

Think you should read a bug report in Hebrew (my lang). What would you
do as the maintainer of the package?

I'm sorry if I didn't explain that properly. My idea (and that is all it is), is that users could be asked to put the name of their language (e.g. Hebrew, Vietnamese) in the subject line, by copy and paste from a file if required. Use it like a code-word: you don't need to be able to understand or write it yourself to use it.

Then any maintainer receiving an email to the bug-reporting address, which has the name of a language in the subject line, would be able to forward it to the translation team, or whatever other procedure was decided.

This removes the burden on the maintainer of having to work out what language it is, which can be quite a challenge if it's not a language you've encountered.

Is it not possible to send email in Hebrew? I thought it was.

I think we should stick with English on this. If you can't report
yourself, find someone who will report for you.

Sounds good for the English-speakers, not so good if you're not. Can we really assume that everyone who needs to learn to use a computer, knows someone who speaks English and is willing to write bug reports for them?

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhóm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc