Re: hgettext still having strange incompatibilities to cabal install

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 23:33:27 +0100
Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,

> > > haskell-devscripts always compiles Setup.hs, but I thought the problem
> > > is with people using "cabal install"?
> >
> > Yes right. People using "cabal install" do have the problem. But we can
> > solve it by ensuring that hgettext and cabal are built against the same
> > version, by passing the right --constraint to the Setup.hs of
> > hgettext.
>
> Right. If that helps, then either patch hgettext’s .cabal (which is what
> its Setup will use to determine what version of Cabal to use), or pass
> --constraint using DEB_SETUP_GHC_CONFIGURE_ARGS in debian/rules.
>
> In either case you should add an explanation, saying why this is needed
> and noting that updating cabal-install will require hgettext to be
> rebuilt.
>
> Would that solve it?

I just tried to do this and noticed that the problem is something
completely different.
hgettext build-depends on libghc-cabal-dev. I thought that would be
sufficient to ensure that the newer library is installed for building,
but didn't notice that ghc provides libghc-cabal-dev. This means that
libghc-cabal-dev just wasn't installed during building.

Adding a version constraint to the build-dependency might cut it, but
it would require to update that every time cabal is updated. I would
tend to add something like "Provides: cabal-install-cabal-library" to
libghc-cabal-dev and male hgettext depend on that. That way hgettext
should always be built against the right version.