Re: hgettext still having strange incompatibilities to cabal install

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 18:29:52 +0100
Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, den 27.12.2014, 23:00 +0100 schrieb Sven Bartscher:

> > > Only with build-type custom. Which, I guess, hgettext-using packages
> > > are...
> >
> > I just checked hgettext and saw that it has build-type simple.
>
> I thought the problems is with packages that _use_ hgettext in their
> Setup, not hgettext itself.

Sorry, now I was confused. The problem is in the packages _using_
hgettext. Those always have custom as build type. But I was confused
about something else and I just realised that this isn't really
important.

> > What do the devscripts do in this case?
>
> haskell-devscripts always compiles Setup.hs, but I thought the problem
> is with people using "cabal install"?

Yes right. People using "cabal install" do have the problem. But we can
solve it by ensuring that hgettext and cabal are built against the same
version, by passing the right --constraint to the Setup.hs of
hgettext. (Even though that I can imagine that cabal then just looks
is cabal == 1.20.x installed? and sees it is and then goes to compiling
and then uses the wrong version because it blindly assumes that only
one version is installed.)