Re: hgettext still having strange incompatibilities to cabal install

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 27.12.2014, 18:59 +0100 schrieb Sven Bartscher:

> >> The symptoms are, that if you try to build some package that uses
> >> hgettext functions in its Setup.hs, cabal yells at you that a lot of
> >> arguments aren’t known.
> >
> > Why do packages use hgettext in their setup? Localized build error
> > messages? What packages do that?
>
> hgettext provides hooks for compiling and installing the language files.
>  Every package that uses hgettext needs to use these, but we don’t
>  have packages in Debian that depend on hgettext.

now I get it, thanks.

> >> If so, we could mark the affected packages and teach the devscripts
> >> to compile them with the right version.
> >
> > Note that descripts never call cabal. Cabal is purely a user tool…
>
> It calls Setup.hs then, right (after compiling it)?  This should be the same case.

Only with build-type custom. Which, I guess, hgettext-using packages
are... But I would expect cabal-install to explicitly constrain it to
use the right version of Cabal.

Did you actually reproduce the issue?

Also, I’m not sure if this problem is Debian-specific. Shouldn’t
“normal” users be affected as well?