Re: hgettext still having strange incompatibilities to cabal install

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 23:33:27 +0100
Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,

> > > haskell-devscripts always compiles Setup.hs, but I thought the problem
> > > is with people using "cabal install"?
> >
> > Yes right. People using "cabal install" do have the problem. But we can
> > solve it by ensuring that hgettext and cabal are built against the same
> > version, by passing the right --constraint to the Setup.hs of
> > hgettext.
>
> Right. If that helps, then either patch hgettext’s .cabal (which is what
> its Setup will use to determine what version of Cabal to use), or pass
> --constraint using DEB_SETUP_GHC_CONFIGURE_ARGS in debian/rules.
>
> In either case you should add an explanation, saying why this is needed
> and noting that updating cabal-install will require hgettext to be
> rebuilt.
>
> Would that solve it?

I guess. I think, adding it to debian/rules is the better solution,
because then the cabal version can be determined automatically and we
only need to rebuilt hgettext, instead of releasing a new version of
hgettext every time we update cabal.

Regards
Sven