Re: Could you allow me to switch DMUA flag?

[sent again, really cc'ing John this time]

Hi Kiwamu (and John and others),

@John: Please skip first parts - there is an issue for you at the end...

On 12-02-29 at 01:41pm, Kiwamu Okabe wrote:
> Dear Jonas,
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
> wrote:
> > On 12-02-28 at 10:46am, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >> Your changes look good (from a first quick glance at it).
> >
> > Upstream README now explicitly mentions a list of LaTeX files
> > required:
>
> I don't know about pdf translate.
> My daily use is to output TeX, because ptex-* can use Japanese
> language.

I am a beginner of both LaTex and (very much so of) japanese, but
actually the Pandoc support for XeLaTeX was encouraged by me because I
wanted Pandoc to properly generate double-byte texts like japanese and
chinese. :-)

I am aware that ptex currently produces better results for japanese than
XeLaTex.  Would be great if you could help provide some minimal
templates for Pandoc upstream, to have it easily support ptex as
alternative LaTeX backend.

Also, it seems that with the Genzi package XeLaTeX should handle
Japanese better.  Would be great if you could help improve the XeLaTeX
templates for Pandoc to use Genzi - optionally or (if/when available in
Debian) by default.

More on Genzi here: http://kuniyoshi.fastmail.fm/xetex/

> >> Production of a PDF requires that a LaTeX engine be installed (see
> >> `--latex-engine`, below), and assumes that the following LaTeX
> >> packages are available: `amssymb`, `amsmath`, `ifxetex`,
> >> `ifluatex`, `listings` (if the `--listings` option is used),
> >> `fancyvrb`, `enumerate`, `ctable`, `url`, `graphicx`, `hyperref`,
> >> `ulem`, `babel` (if the `lang` variable is set), `fontspec` (if
> >> `xelatex` or `lualatex` is used as the LaTeX engine), `xltxtra` and
> >> `xunicode` (if `xelatex` is used).
> >
> > Those should be resolved into Debian packages, and if not already
> > suggested then done + mentioned in long description for which LaTeX
> > engine it is needed.
> >
> > I tried locating first one, amssymb, but apparently that one is not
> > even available in Debian...
>
> I think there are these style files in Debian apt-line.

Hmm, that's odd: They are indeed included in texlive-latex-base in
Squeeze and Wheezy, but not in Sid, according to
http://packages.debian.org/ .  Maybe something is broken in that search
engine or in the TeX packages in Sid...

> New pandoc package should depend on texlive packages?

The pandoc package already suggests texlive-latex-recommended,
texlive-xetex and texlive-luatex, and documents in its long description
when they are (or were!) needed.

We should verify if those suggestions + documentation is still valid or
need some changes for this new release.

Great that you tested below.  Even greater if you try test that it still
works with _only_ texlive-latex-recommended (and, for XeLaTeX, also
texlive-xetex) is installed with their dependencies - but without any
recommendations or suggestions.

> > We should probably test-build and verify if the three LaTeX engines
> > work at all in Debian.
>
> I tried it.
> Pdflatex and xelatex have no problem.
> Lualatex has error.
>
> $ cat hoge.md
> # Title
> Hi!
>
> * Item1
> * Item2
> $ /usr/bin/pandoc hoge.md --latex-engine=pdflatex -f markdown -o hoge.pdf
> $ /usr/bin/pandoc hoge.md --latex-engine=xelatex -f markdown -o hoge.pdf
> $ /usr/bin/pandoc hoge.md --latex-engine=lualatex -f markdown -o hoge.pdf
> pandoc: Error producing PDF from TeX source.
> !
>  ********************************************
>  * XeTeX is required to compile this document.
>  * Sorry!
>  ********************************************.
>                                                   \endgroup \fi
> l.18 \RequireXeTeX
>
> But I can't the reason of the TeX error....

Hmm, yes - looks odd (and contrary to upstream documentation!) that
LuaTeX should require XeTeX (and even parts of XeTeX that XeLaTeX does
not need itself).

@John: Could you help here, how to proceed debugging?

Kind regards,

 - Jonas