Re: [rant] Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> More like that Debian packagers' views don't correspond with either
>> the upstream free software authors' nor the users' views, and that
>
> How can you claim you know the users' views? I am a user, and my view is
> that Debian did the right choice to remain consistent between writings
> and actions.
>
>> Debian feels it has the right to teach both morals, making use of the
>> means provided freely from upstream.
>
> This is your impression, because you are frustrated. Debian is no
> person, Debian does not feel it has the right to teach morals, Debian:
>
>   1. has tried for a *long* time to resolve the issue with upstream;
>
>   2. went through a long, open and thorough debate, followed by a
>      democratic process whose outcome it is now rightfully following.
>
> I cannot see any problem here, except upstream's lack of cooperation

Upstream does not "cooperate".  Upstream delivers.

> and your frustration. If you're unhappy with the democratic choices
> made "by Debian", as you like to say, then go build your own
> distribution.

If Debian is unhappy with the "unfree" software made "by GNU", as they
like to say, then they should package something else.

> Sorry if the last sentence sounds rude, but I am shocked by your
> intellectual tyranny, denying us, Debian folks, the right to make
> our own choices by open and democratic processes.

Duplicity does not become magically something else if enough people
vote for it.