Re: [rant] Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

On 23 Mar 2006, Hubert Chan told this:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:45:50 -0600, Manoj Srivastava
> <srivasta@debian.org> said:
>> The info file is a derived file; the source is make.texi. The
>> preferred form for modification is the texi file, which is non
>> free.
>
> The inconsistency smells a lot like an oversight.  Have you checked
> with upstream to see if that was what was actually intended, or if
> it was a copy/paste bug?

        Not to me, it does mot. The info files do not really have
 front or back covers, so there is no fron or back cover invariant
 sections. Printed manuals do have covers, hence front-and-back cover
 texts. Sounds entirely logical to me.

        It also seems to be the norm for documentation that seems to
 be coming from the GNU project,  so I think my take on this is
 correct -- _ALL_ those documents can't all have the exact same
 oversight.

        But feel free to talk to upstream and see if all GNU documents
 can be made DFSG free again.

        manoj
--
In seeking the unattainable, simplicity only gets in the way. Epigrams
in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982