Re: [rant] Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

2006/3/25, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>:
>         Well, users, and developers, who disagree with our principles
>  can still get the non-fee documentation by adding one line to their
>  apt sources list.  If you, as a developer or a user, think the docs
>  are free, why should you care how debian has classified it?  You can
>  still get it on your box. So the interests of users and developers
>  who disagree with debian are not being catered to is an argument that
>  does not fly.

I think one complaint is that many debian users want to avoid what
they consider non-free stuff.  Previously this was simple, if their
idea of "non-free" corresponded with Debian's:  they could just not
have non-free in their sources.list.  However now, it will be harder,
because Debian is going to group desirable "free" (from the user's
viewpoint, not debian's) stuff together with undesirable "really
non-free" stuff.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.