Re: (howto) adding better support for a specific language

[Oded Naveh]
> The highest priority are student-users then teachers, which means
> applications upstream.  This is beyond the scope of Debian[-Edu],

It is not beyon the scope of Debian Edu to make sure the applications
we want are available on the native languages we try to support.  In
Norway, we have organized free software translators since shortly
after the project started, and as far as I know, the French group did
the same when they were active.  Not sure if others countries
skolelinux groups are active with translations.

Having the user applications available in the native language is too
important for us to leave it to chance.  When that is said, we have
always worked with upstream to get translations in there, and I
believe that is vital to keep the applications translated.

> fortunately KDE, Iceweasel and OOO all support Hebrew pretty well
> (with the installation of packages pointed to by Holger).  Other
> than that I don't know what education software where adopted for
> Hebrew.

Then someone need to translate gcompris, one of the most popular
applications for primary school.  And probably a lot of other
applications. :)

> Log-in seems to be a major problem for young kids, as traditionally
> user names are in lower case ASCI and these are not even printed on
> the keyboard.  I tried using Hebrew usernames when I installed
> Debian for my nephew and niece but this didn't work well. (any
> hints?)

No idea.  I strongly recommend using usernames with only lower case
ASCII letters at most 8 characters long, to avoid surprises.

> I also think that the Hebrew translators are doing tremendous work
> and I intend to contact them and other Israeli debian people but
> haven't got round to it yet.

Very good. :)

Happy hacking,