Re: (howto) adding better support for a specific language

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, Holger Levsen wrote:

On Sonntag, 26. April 2009, Andreas Tille wrote:
Have you ever talked to the DDTP team whether hebrew support is possible?

Please check http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8 - displays nicely here :)

And I in turn fail to see the relation between a Hebrew Wikipedia page
and Debian package descriptions translated to Hebrew.

Hebrew is supported since Etch, including but obviously not limited to the
installer.

Sure.  But Debian is not only the installer.  Do we have package descriptions
translated to Hebrew?  Does any package installation frontend like synaptic,
aptitude or plain apt support Hebrew translations?

I fail to understand what DDTP has to do with better supporting a language in
Debian Edu and why you cc:ed debian-i18n@.

Because IMHO supporting a language is not only translating installer strings
and debian-i18n is the list where DDTP people are lurking.   I guess we just
have a different understanding about "supporting a language".

We currently have support for:

lang-de
lang-es
lang-he
lang-ja
lang-no
lang-se
lang-zh_TW

Regarding DDTP translation out of this list there is support for

    de, es, ja [1], se (isn't it sv = Swedish?), zh_TW [2]

There are no DDTP translations for no and he and I wonder whether you
feel I'm distracting your main purpose when giving hints like this or
whether you are really not interested.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/edu/tasks/index.ja.html
    Japanese is supported quite well

[2] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/edu/tasks/index.zh.html
    The flawours of zh (zh, zh_CN, zh_TW) are not featuring many
    translations in DDTP so I have not seen any translation relevant
    for Debian Edu

--
http://fam-tille.de