Re: Skolelinux jobs for students

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> > I'm not suggesting it's the best solution imaginable, but it works and
> > currently achieves a good portion of what you want.
>
> Thanks for the info and procedure description. I would look at it.
> However, in Jully while chatting with Cobbaco I was understanding there
> were job to do there with profile. Probably I misunderstood.

Well, it's certainly not everything one could want so there probably still
is a few jobs there :-)  It might be nice to be able to change the panel
and desktop icons in the same place.

I might be wrong but my guess is that managing a KDE environment via webmin
would be painful compared to doing something natively in KDE.  The reason
being that KDE has a massive number of libraries for this kind of thing
(kschoolmenu is actually quite a small piece of code).  If KDE change how
menus are set up in a new version, the chances are that kschoolmenu will be
adaptable without too much work as those libraries will be maintained.
Webmin might be a lot more difficult to keep up-to-date.

This is unfortunate as webmin is a really nice, friendly, centralised
config system.

Gavin