Re: Skolelinux jobs for students

[Hilaire Fernandes]
> Here, I have some thought about quite *important* features I did not
> succeed to find in Skolelinux. If I am wrong, just tell me, I will be
> happy to hear it.
>
> 1. In the webmin user interface. Once a year, at the beginning of the
> scholar year, we need a way to move one student from one class group to
> the next one. We would like a tool letting us do it in mass (ie. move
> all students from group Year-8 to Year-9)

Some of this is intended to be fixed with the introduction of
Cerebrum, doing this automatically based on information provided from
some pupils registry.

What about using start/end groups instead?  graduates-2009 or
started-2000.  This way, you only need to update the rights given to
these groups, and not their members.

> 2. Students from a class Year-8 should have access to a common
> folder Year-8. So teacher and students of a same class can exchange
> documents through this shared area. This should be a default
> behavior in Skolelinux.

Hard to do in a generic way that works across several school systems.
But it is not very hard to set up per school.

> 3. In the webmin user interface, we need a profil mangager so we can
> quiclky update the Desktop of a student or a group of students.

What kind of updates to the desktop do you have in mind?

> 4. Integrate low-bandwith technology in Skolelinux so teachers and
> students could open from home a desktop session. Hey, Knut you have
> a lot of tips on that feature.

Yes, would be nice. :)

NX is claimed to be a nice way to do this.  ssh is of course always
available. :)