Re: [LiS-styret] Re: Commercial involvement of SLX Debian Labs in Debian Edu market

onsdag 28. juli 2004, 14:10, skrev Markus Gamenius:
> I'm also stressing You to tell as much as possible as soon as possible
> about what this deal is all about. What are they going to do? What shall
> SLX-Debian-Labs do? What do SLX-Debian-Labs and Skolelinux get in
> return?

Thats why I tried to draw attention to what we was doing in the e-mail 15:25
Tuesday July 27th 2004. It's understandable that it's much to grasp in
documents that summaries what has happened the last two years. Anyway, it's
heavily documented, and everything is posted on the e-mail-lists, and is in
CVS. I am glad to quote this again:

<quotation>

  This three minutes and reports shows the process and the aspirations:

  http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/prosjektet/referater/ref_ufd_20021115.txt
  http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/prosjektet/referater/troverdig_org.txt
  http://www.norden.org/nr/2-6-5-rek/sk/2004/Fre_02_2004.pdf

  Currently we are helping a national service provider to deploy a
  centralised day-to-day operation centre with Skolelinux. We do this in
  accordance with the plan of action for 2004 that accompanies The
  Program for Digital Competence 2004-2008 from The Ministry of Education
  and Research. The plans with this has been announced and worked on
  since the autumn 2002, after request from the people in the department,
  or the politicians in Oslo:

  http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/prosjektet/referater/ref_ufd_20021115.txt
  http://developer.skolelinux.no/driftskonsepter/detaljertsoeknad.html
  http://developer.skolelinux.no/driftskonsepter/utsikt.html
  http://developer.skolelinux.no/driftskonsepter/soeknad-UFD-endelig.sxw

</quotation>

In other words, we have told a lot of people and institutions about our
goals and plans - often from direct questions from different organisations.
The origin of the plans are heavily documented. The best of the competitors
it was commented in the negotiations with representatives of 530
municipalities and public offices. Even the contract proposals has been
committed to CVS.

In negotiating with the municipalities their legal advisor told us to stop
that practice because it is not allowed. Also a short memo and minutes are
committed to CVS after such meetings - if suchlike things are not prevented
by the form of the meeting. We ask the people we talk to in which form we
can document what we are talking about, because we does most of our ting
the free software way, so that we don't does any problems later in the
process.

* Some uses the possibilities, others don't

Some companies has found out that they should contact SLX Debian Labs to get
help with realization of their plans. We invite them to study whats already
documented, and we give them our best advice. Somebody uses the advice they
like and throw away what they don't want to use. Others say theire not
interested because they has other ranking of priorities.

In the hardware vendor marked I have given this offer equally to all the
companies that sells hardware. There was two companies that really jumped
into this offer. One of them was In/Out that also got the national
agreement with Directorate for Primary and Secondary Education for selling
newer reused computers to the schools. They say that the Skolelinux effort
was the engagement that tipped the agreement in their direction.

The CIO in on of the other hardware companies told me to take a holiday
after he showed me of his recently acquisition of a new Mercedes. It's more
intersting for me personally to help people who ask for help with schools
deploying Skolelinux instead of listening to people that have bought
themself a new Mercedes, and recommend the projectmanager in Skolelinux to
take ha vacation :-).

Sincerely

Knut Yrvin
--
Prosjektleder Skolelinux / teknisk veileder for norsk OpenOffice
Kontor: IT-staben i Akershus fylkeskommune, Schweigaards gate 4,