Re: How to make "Debian Reference" as scalable SGML

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 03:19:00PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> The Installation manual (debian-boot repository, directory
> boot-floppies/documentation) and

Yes this one was a good start and my document is following this
structure.  I made all parent SGML files to be auto generated from a
single template file by a "sed" script in Makefile.  This was small
improvement since I only need to maintain one parent file template when
a chapter was added or chapter order needed to be changed.

This structure still requires cut-and-paste and editing of contents
across all language files if, for example, one wants to move one section
in <sect> to to another section and make it into <chapt> when document
grows its content.

> the FAQ (debian-doc repo, directory manuals.sgml/faq) are examples of
> how to split things into several files.

This is similar in concept but file organization is not as nice as
boot-floppies.

> I'm not sure if that's exactly what you want but it seems similar
> enough.

Thanks:)  But these approaches were not sufficient for me.

See my other posting for what I am planning.  problem is there are about
200 plus <chapt>, <sect>, <sect1> already exist and that makes 200 plus
separate files for all 3 languages.  (Already Spanish may be added to
make it 4.)

I think this is the only simple solution to enable content
reorganization without making process too complicated.  KISS.
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> @ Cupertino, CA USA         +