Re: How to make "Debian Reference" as scalable SGML

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:05:11AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 03:19:00PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> >
> > The Installation manual (debian-boot repository, directory
> > boot-floppies/documentation) and
>
> Yes this one was a good start and my document is following this
> structure.  I made all parent SGML files to be auto generated from a
> single template file by a "sed" script in Makefile.  This was small
> improvement since I only need to maintain one parent file template when
> a chapter was added or chapter order needed to be changed.
>
> This structure still requires cut-and-paste and editing of contents
> across all language files if, for example, one wants to move one section
> in <sect> to to another section and make it into <chapt> when document
> grows its content.
>
> > the FAQ (debian-doc repo, directory manuals.sgml/faq) are examples of
> > how to split things into several files.
>
> This is similar in concept but file organization is not as nice as
> boot-floppies.
>
> > I'm not sure if that's exactly what you want but it seems similar
> > enough.
>
> Thanks:)  But these approaches were not sufficient for me.
>
> See my other posting for what I am planning.  problem is there are about
> 200 plus <chapt>, <sect>, <sect1> already exist and that makes 200 plus
> separate files for all 3 languages.  (Already Spanish may be added to
> make it 4.)
>
> I think this is the only simple solution to enable content
> reorganization without making process too complicated.  KISS.

My .02: boot-floppies is just one chapter per document. I can see
where putting one sect in each document might be advantageous; but I
would leave further subdivisions inside the docs (not go down to
sect1). Too often, one wants to easily create new subsections; and it
would be rather more difficult to keep updating the 'contents' file
when writing.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |