Re: Quick reference (First web pages build, what's next?)

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 02:16:31PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 12:29:21AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Thank you for letting me upload "Quick Reference".  It is almost 1MB of
> > SGML codes in en, fr, it locales.
>
> And you call that "quick"? :)

That is the biggest headache for me.  I wanted a 30 page document but
ended up with 100 pages. Most topics are covered in 1 to 2 screens on
VT-100 or 1 page on paper.  Topics can be big topics, such as, how to
compile a new kernel or how to upgrade APT from potato to woody while
setting /etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/sources.list.  So it is
"quick" in this sense.

> > This is an administrator and/or user manual.
>
> Yes, and it should be branded as such, and replace the past attempts.

Thanks but mine is just a "quick reference".  This should not supersede
any good descriptive manuals.

I have to admit my "Quick Reference" also has many shortcomings[*1].  But
considering lack of Debian specific documentations in user/administrator
space, I hope I am providing some positive contribution.

Having said this, I do concede that many stalled documents in "DDP
Users' Manuals" and "DDP Administrators' Manuals" exists and they must
be re-prioritized and reorganized as follows:

Authoritative documents: (must be on the top, may require updates)
* Debian Release Notes
* Debian GNU/Linux FAQ
* Debian Installation Manual

Informative documents for specific topics:
* Debian META Manual
* Euro support in Debian GNU/Linux
* The Debian GNU/Linux and Java FAQ
* APT HOWTO
* dselect Documentation for Beginners
* Debian Network Administrator's Manual
* Securing Debian Manual
* Quick reference for Debian GNU/Linux
  (I hope mine fits here, now no link)
* newbiedoc
  (Too descriptive for me but good efforts. Now no link.  DOC-BOOK, HTTP
  link to newbiedoc.sf.net may be good thing to do.  There is a .deb file
  available.)

Informative: (Needs update but useful as is.)
* Debian Guide
  Nice but for potato, need to be updated for woody.  LATEX source. May
  have been superseded by "Installation Manual".
* Linux.com installation guide web page
  (I forgot where but comes with graphics.  HTML only.)

Questionable contents:
  --- Keep these just as archives and no links from front pages:
? Debian Tutorial: obsoleted by Debian-guide book (Do not have link)
? Debian User Reference Manual: Stalled.  Need to remove title only
  entries.  Many introductory documentation may be best served by
  general Unix book or recent attempts by "newbiedoc" efforts.
? Debian Tips: stalled(July 1998). no content (2 text files in CVS)
? The Debian Linux User's Guide:
  HTML only and unreachable.  If reachable, it may be nice 200+ page
  document.  Is this DSFG compliant licensing?
? Debian System Administrator's Manual
  This one is almost empty and almost stalled from 1998.  My "Quick
  reference" and "newbiedoc" should supersede.  Last 2 chapters may be
  best incorporated into other document or separated.
? Hardware Compatibility List
   stalled and superfluous considering Linux Hardware Compatibility
   HOWTO exists.
[*1] Shortcomings of "Quick reference":
 lack of consistent formatting (Improving now)
 lack of many X configuration issues
 structural irregularities (Why MUTT is in network section?)
 Why LPRNG?
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> @ Cupertino, CA USA         +