Re: Making Debian available

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 09:27:28 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
wrote:
>"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> writes:
>> It already does: the second or third question gives you the option to
>> install non-free firmware, if needed, from a USB stick. That method does
>> work but very few people use it.
>
>This is the method that I personally always use, but I install systems
>infrequently and every time I install a new system I have to work out
>again from scratch how to make this work.  It sounds like it should be
>simple, and yet it never is.

Amen. I have the same experience.

My workaround is to plug in a network cable for installation. But
alas, I have up to now been able to avoid hardware without built-in
Ethernet. I guess that many USB Ethernet interfaces will work out of
the box without non-free, right?

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |