Re: Making Debian available

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 04:39:47PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Thanks for the insightful suggestion! Can we also just get rid of
> non-free and contrib in that case and put everything in main? If
> people don't want non-free software they can just not install it,
> right? Problem solved apparently.
As many (most?) modern physical machines require enabling non-free (if
not for device firmware then at least for CPU microcode updates), the end
result is not that different. We already tell people to enable non-free
and check everything they install as that's the only option we provide.

> /me wanders off to find a distro which still cares to make it clear
> when it's shipping something that doesn't use F/LOSS licenses
For people near the non-usability pole of the freeness-usability tradeoff
FSF recommends multiple distros at
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html.

--
WBR, wRAR