Re: Making Debian available

On 2021-01-15 21:45:35 +0500 (+0500), Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 04:39:47PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > Thanks for the insightful suggestion! Can we also just get rid of
> > non-free and contrib in that case and put everything in main? If
> > people don't want non-free software they can just not install it,
> > right? Problem solved apparently.
>
> As many (most?) modern physical machines require enabling non-free (if
> not for device firmware then at least for CPU microcode updates), the end
> result is not that different. We already tell people to enable non-free
> and check everything they install as that's the only option we provide.
[...]

Yes, I get that. I don't mind having to go out of my way to update
non-free firmware even if it means separately downloading with
another machine and sneaker-netting on removable media, it helps
keep me honest about what's getting installed and what's necessary
(or not). I'd rather not have to manually verify that every single
package which gets installed isn't from the non-free suite, and only
fetch things from there strictly as needed. I understand that there
are other people who would rather not have to manually hunt down
drivers and firmware blobs to install Debian on at least some
devices.

My point was that if folks are giving up on the distinction, then
why bother to offer an installer without non-free packages baked in?
The assertion I was objecting to is that an installer which
automatically installs non-free software "works for everyone." It's
a clearly false generalization to suggest "everyone" doesn't care
about software freedom.
--
Jeremy Stanley