Re: Making Debian available

Quoting Marc Haber (2021-01-17 11:33:28)
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 09:27:28 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> writes:
> >> It already does: the second or third question gives you the option
> >> to install non-free firmware, if needed, from a USB stick. That
> >> method does work but very few people use it.
> >
> >This is the method that I personally always use, but I install
> >systems infrequently and every time I install a new system I have to
> >work out again from scratch how to make this work.  It sounds like it
> >should be simple, and yet it never is.
>
> Amen. I have the same experience.
>
> My workaround is to plug in a network cable for installation. But
> alas, I have up to now been able to avoid hardware without built-in
> Ethernet. I guess that many USB Ethernet interfaces will work out of
> the box without non-free, right?

I always carry at least one USB ethernet dongle for install parties.

In my experience, USB ethernet dongles where some well-established
company dare put their name on it also happen to use a chipset supported
in Linux.

My advice¹ is to buy a prominently branded Gigabit dongle - not 100Mbit
even if your device cannot really benefit from the higher speed, and not
2.5Gigabit which is less likely to be supported yet.

 - Jonas

¹ My actual simplified advice is to point to a specific widely available
dongle: http://box.redpill.dk/hardware.html