Re: Discussion tooling (was: Bits from the DPL (August 2019))

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 14:51, Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 01:37:58PM +0100, Samuel Henrique wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 10:48, Mathias Behrle <mbehrle@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > ...BTW no discussion tool can help in automating
> > separate discussion threads when the topic changes.
> >

> They can, I think reddit and hackernews are good at this.
> That's the "tree-like" structure that I mentioned in my email.

Note that email already has a "tree-like" structure, since forever. You
just don't see it if you (ironically) use web application email clients
like gmail that decided to not show it. Most console/desktop clients
that I ever saw do support it.

Hm, but I wonder of the ones you saw how much they are used, because from
the ones I see people using, I would say less than 5% (by usage) has this.

And even then we are talking about tools that are either console or
desktop-only, there is still the smartphone user cases and, most
importantly, being able to follow the discussions without the need
to authenticate and being subscribed to the list, which would be
useful for outsiders (and an outsider is someone who will become
a contributor eventually).

And the problems with relying on the tree view of email subthreads
have already been exposed here as it depends on people formatting
the subthread in a specific way, which does always happens.