Re: Discussion tooling (was: Bits from the DPL (August 2019))

On 2019-10-02 10:51:22 -0300 (-0300), Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 01:37:58PM +0100, Samuel Henrique wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 10:48, Mathias Behrle <mbehrle@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > ...BTW no discussion tool can help in automating
> > > separate discussion threads when the topic changes.
> > >

> > They can, I think reddit and hackernews are good at this.
> > That's the "tree-like" structure that I mentioned in my email.
>
> Note that email already has a "tree-like" structure, since forever. You
> just don't see it if you (ironically) use web application email clients
> like gmail that decided to not show it. Most console/desktop clients
> that I ever saw do support it.

Indeed, mutt is showing me a very branchy tree for this very
discussion. MUAs include references to the message IDs replied to
within each message's headers, precisely so that readers can
construct a reference graph of message relationships for this use
case. If you find that mailing list discussions lack a tree-like
structure, that's a failing of the mail client you've chosen, not
the medium itself.
--
Jeremy Stanley