Re: Discussion tooling (was: Bits from the DPL (August 2019))

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 10:48, Mathias Behrle <mbehrle@debian.org> wrote:
...BTW no discussion tool can help in automating
separate discussion threads when the topic changes.

They can, I think reddit and hackernews are good at this.
That's the "tree-like" structure that I mentioned in my email.

You will definitely lose me when I am forced to enter such an online platform to
follow and participate in discussions.

I am 100% sure that there will be people saying they won't interact anymore if
$something changes, and there will also be people who will actually stop
interacting if it happens, and there will also be people that say they don't
interact because of the current situation, and there will be people who will
start interacting if we address it.

It's impossible to do anything with 100% approval on Debian, and I think
when we discuss about this we are talking about trading off receiving
new contributors to the project over keeping the current ones.

Both things are bad: losing current contributors and not being able to get
new ones, due to the tools we use. So I'm not saying that we should
totally ignore one of them.

I just want to point to the fact that we need to be careful when people
start saying they will stop interacting/leave if something changes
because on the other side there are new contributors that don't join
because of it and we need to balance both.

And I mean, this is not news, almost everyone outside of Debian
that I talk to have this idea that "Debian uses old and bad tools"
for communications, bug reporting, and etc.

I don't consider our situation to be bad as some people say,
I'm here and overall happy after all, but there's definitely
room for improvement.

Regards,

--
Samuel Henrique <samueloph>