Re: Bits from the DPL (August 2019)

Dear Sam,

first of all, many thanks for writing these 'Bits from the DPL' mails
regularily, much appreciated!

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 04:46:14PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Git Packaging
> =============
[...]
> The discussion generated enough mail that I have not yet found time to
> issue a consensus call.  Here are some of the results I'm fairly sure
> of:
[...]
> I expect to start discussions on maintainer branch format and upstream
> tarballs in early October.

I believe you are missing a crucial detail here, that is, this
discussion spawned like 300 emails in August and September and that many
(too many?) people are not able to follow such big discussions in such a
timespan. IOW: I believe your consensus is build on much weaker ground
than I believe you believe.

So to me this is more the consensus of those with the priveledge to
read, process and repond to this mailinglist, yet there are many more
people packaging software in Debian.

I'm not sure what to take from this observation.(!) (Because obviously
it's good to have this discussion and try to find out what the consensus
is on debian-devel@l.d.o.) Maybe just that the information about this
discussion happening should be spread to more places and/or maybe rather
that this discussions should be given more time.

And then, 'spreading to more places' reminds me of another critisism I
have with your reports: they are too long. :-D (I wonder if I'm the
first to say that...)
You might not notice this or dont think its bad, but long emails are hard
for people with a little of time and are harder to comprehend for non-native
speakers, esp. those with little time.

(If you dont believe me and if you use notmuch, search for
'to:debian-devel-announce subject:DPL', DPL summaries used to be roughly
half as long.)

And of course this is not a problem per se, but it has an impact on who
is able to participate in these discussions. I spent a long time on
email and still I decided to not have the bandwidth to participate in
this git packaging discussion anymore. And I ment to write this email
since two weeks.)

HTH, really.

> Feedback
>
> As always, feedback is welcome.  Please don't hesitate to reach out to
> leader@debian.org.

Thanks & sorry, I'd rather have this discussion in pubcic.

--
cheers,
	Holger