Re: infinite number of Debian workflows (Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?)

Ben Finney writes ("Re: infinite number of Debian workflows (Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?)"):
> Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> > I want every maintainer who is using git to be able to use dgit.
>
> Use it to do what, though? The package description is currently:

Use it to publish your git history, by doing your uploads with
dgit push.

The root goal is this: Debian should publish the source for all our
packages, as git branches, in a format that is directly useable by
ordinary people.

A user should not have to be an expert on Debian source formats to
clone the source to a program on your computer, git-cherry-pick a
patch from upstream (or develop their own patch to the upstream code),
and rebuild and install it.  Debian should provide a sensible git
branch, for every package, that a user can use this way.

>     git interoperability with the Debian archive
>      dgit (with the associated infrastructure) makes it possible to
>      treat the Debian archive as a git repository.
>      .
>      dgit push constructs uploads from git commits
>      .
>      dgit clone and dgit fetch construct git commits from uploads.
>
> That sounds to me like it isn't a tool for maintainers, but rather a
> tool for “interoperability with the Debian archive” which AFAICT is
> already provided by the tools I am using.

You have only one-way interoperability, and only from a nonstandard
git layout.

> If the package does something that should be of interest to package
> maintainers in general, I'd expect the description to be a lot clearer
> what that is and why it's of interest.

I would be very happy to hear suggestions for improving the
descriptions.  Ideally without making them longer.

It's awkward, because dgit is different things to different people.

1. For a user or a downstream, dgit is a way to get Debian source code
   as directly useable git branches in a standard format.

2. For a maintainer, dgit is a way to publish and share your actual
   git branch with users, downstreams and other contributors.  It
   can also be a way to handle an NMU without needing to ever deal
   with a source package.

3. For sponsors/sponsees, etc., it is a way to replace the
   soruce-package-based sponsorship workflow with one based on git
   branches.  The sponsee publishes their git branch, and the sponsor
   (when satisfied) invokes dgit to upload it.

4. In the abstract, much of the functionality is a bidirectional
   converter between git trees and source packages [4]; but it's also
   a client (read and write) for a standardised git publication
   infrastructure.

We have other tools that do these things.  So let me address the
competition:

1. Obtaining Debian package source code as a git branch.  The
   principal competition here is the Vcs-Git dsc header.  One big
   problem with Vcs-Git is that the git tree you find there is largely
   unstandardised:
      - The git tree might be patches-unapplied.  Usually it is.  Such
        trees are useable only by people who are already Debian
        experts, and have many weird properties.
      - The git tree might not have the upstream code at all.
      - There might be other arbitrary weirdnesses; perhaps
        some script needs to be run to make it buildable, for
        example.

   (It can also sometimes be a problem to find the git commit
   corresponding to a particular Debian package.  Luckily we have
   DEP-14 tags which are largely used now; even git-dpm, whose author
   rejects the DEP-14 tag encoding, creates similar enough tags out of
   most versions.)

   There are other potential problems: the git branch you find might
   not be fast-forwarding; or there might not be a suitable DEP-14
   tag; or the last upload might have been done `out of maintainer
   workflow' for some reason and not be reflected in the git
   repository.  This means that the Vcs-Git repository might lack
   important security patches.  The repository might have moved.

   And of course it may not exist at all.  A user wants a single tool,
   not to be told to flail about trying various options.

2. For working within Debian maintainer teams, our existing git
   workflows mostly work.  However, they have the problem that they do
   not, generally, produce externally-useable git branches.  See (1).

   Some workflows (eg git-dpm) do produce extenally-useable git
   branches; but before dgit there was no way to publish your git
   branch along with a promise that it was directly useable.  And
   there was no fallback for packages that didn't have a useable git
   branch.

   In a sense I am hoping that maintainers, who do not suffer from the
   lack of a solution to (1), are willing to do a bit of work to make
   everyone else's lives easier.

   There are some advantages for the maintainer of course: if a
   maintainer and an NMUer both use dgit, then the maintainer has a
   much easier task to integrate the change.

3. As far as I'm aware, there is little gitish sponsorship workflow.
   If the sponsor understands and wants to use the sponsee's git
   arrangements, the sponsor could use the sponsee's maintainer
   workflow of course.  But this is not a requirement we want to
   impose.

4. As for source code conversion and manipulation: we have an
   extensive toolbox, but no coherent approach.  Indeed dgit tries not
   to reimplement functionality.  Some of the heavy lifting required
   for `3.0 (quilt)' is done by git-buildpackage, for example.

   What dgit gets you is a coherent scheme for automatically using the
   existing toolbox to translate what maintainers have into what
   everyone else wants; for establishing what the right version is;
   and for falling back to .dsc import when there is no suitable git
   branch.

I'm being a bit tendentious of course.  I say `what everyone wants';
what I really mean is `the dgit interchange tree and branch format'.

But I have thought carefully about this.  I have also listened to
developers who don't have a Debian background.  The Debian source
format, particularly the in-tree patches, is very confusing.

> My apologies for publicly pointing to a package description for
> criticism, but it seems relevant to the claim that the package is
> for “every maintainer who uses git” that the description should
> explain why that is.

Yes.

Ian.