Re: infinite number of Debian workflows (Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?)

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> I want every maintainer who is using git to be able to use dgit.

Use it to do what, though? The package description is currently:

    git interoperability with the Debian archive
     dgit (with the associated infrastructure) makes it possible to
     treat the Debian archive as a git repository.
     .
     dgit push constructs uploads from git commits
     .
     dgit clone and dgit fetch construct git commits from uploads.

That sounds to me like it isn't a tool for maintainers, but rather a
tool for “interoperability with the Debian archive” which AFAICT is
already provided by the tools I am using.

If the package does something that should be of interest to package
maintainers in general, I'd expect the description to be a lot clearer
what that is and why it's of interest.

My apologies for publicly pointing to a package description for
criticism, but it seems relevant to the claim that the package is for
“every maintainer who uses git” that the description should explain why
that is.

--
 \     “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, but |
  `\          where will we find an open tattoo parlor at this time of |