infinite number of Debian workflows (Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?)

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 07:52:34AM +0000, Riku Voipio wrote:
> Right now, if you have a minor change - such fixing Homepage: or typo on
> definition, it's not as straitforward as submitting a pull request. And
> it gets much worse if you want to patch against upstream or build a new
> upstream version. Every maintainer has their own preferred workflow which
> a new contributor needs to adapt to.

_this_!

I can totally confirm this. When people ask me how to get foo fixed in Debian
and I start explaining the above, people role their eyes and point to this:

> [...] But for better or worse, there is now a generation that has
> become used to github style use. And if we want avoid Debian becoming an
> old grumpy mens club, we have cater for them.

and then most of these people move on without bothering trying to fix it.

there have been a few trying to stick around but often they dont know where
to move on, as there is no "Debian workflow", no "Debian manual", there's just
a hundred Debian workflows to maintain a package and 200 manuals for that.

The nice thing about standards is *not* that there are so many to choose from.

--
cheers,
	Holger