Re: infinite number of Debian workflows (Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?)

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 09:22:00PM +0100, Sean Whitton wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 01:42:54PM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> > Of course, dgit is yet another workflow and my understanding is that
> > git-buildpackage (without dgit) is far more commonly used in Debian.
>
> This isn't fair to dgit.  While it does impose some minimal requirements
> upon git trees, it is otherwise workflow neutral.  This is evidenced by
> the fact that there are already several distinct dgit-compatible
> workflows documented in the dgit-maint-*(7) namespace.

I re-read Ian's e-mail and realised I wasn't quite fair to you, either :)

Ian did claim that dgit gives you one workflow for all Debian packages.
It does indeed provide that.  What I should have said was that it does
not enforce /that/ workflow; it just makes it available, primarily for
the benefit of NMUers and those who aren't already Debian contributors.

--
Sean Whitton