Re: Vcs-* and shared repos

On 2016-05-27 18:56:21, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
> Iustin,
>
> On 27 May 2016 at 18:34, Iustin Pop <iustin@debian.org> wrote:
> > That is a good point indeed. I'll think about it, but unless I find a
> > much nicer solution I'll go ahead with the current one.
> >
> > At the moment I'm waiting to have some free time to look at the vcswatch
> > and debcheckout code to see how difficult would it be to implement -d
> > (or [dir=], which would work around the above issue).
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > Well, I appreciate the desire to not break things [further], but doing
> > nothing doesn't solve my need :)
>
> Wouldn't be possible to extend the current functionality adding new
> fields like "Vcs-Git-Branch" and "Vcs-Git-Layout"? This way they would
> be much more explicit and even paves the way for similar options to be
> added for other Vcs.

Oh no, adding Vcs-$x-* options would be too much (that'd be what, 10 or
more new fields?).

If we go that way, they we should make it abstract: introduce Vcs-Path
and Vcs-Layout. Both of these are completely independent of the software
that hosts the code.

As for branch, we already have it, so I'd leave it like it is.

iustin