Re: Vcs-* and shared repos

Hi,

On Wed, 25 May 2016, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 11:24:43PM +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:
> > A potential syntax for the Vcs-* fields would be:
> >
> > Vcs-Git: https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-haskell/DHG_packages.git/ p/ghc
>
> I think something like this, or with the equivalent expressivity, would
> be useful and welcome, yes.

I fear that adding such expressivity is encouraging bad practice. While
I can understand that a single repository can be convenient and easier
to manage than proper "mr" usage, it also feels wrong on many levels:
- you don't know what branch is relevant for what package
- you are almost forced to not inject upstream sources to avoid excessive
  growth of the single repository
- you have to namespace all your tags (and branches)

In general, this choice goes against the various recommendations we
tried to define in DEP 14: http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep14/

> I really worry that (1) might be something too simplistic that we regret
> in the future. So (2) might be more wise. (3) is probably overkill at
> this point, because I don't think we're ready for the layout bikeshed.

I think that adding the feature discussed here imply that the repository
uses a non-standard layout... so IMO either we change nothing or we
should take care of documenting the layout too.

My vote goes for changing nothing. IMO the extra convenience does not
outweigh the costs of having to support all the specific layouts in all
our infrastructure that wants to interact with the packaging git
repositories.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer