Re: Vcs-* and shared repos

Hi Stefano,

On 25 May 2016 at 17:09, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm convinced we will need at some point to document VCS packaging
> layouts in a way that allow tools to use that information
> programmatically. But right now that information will not be actionable,
> whereas the subdirectory already is (for debcheckout and friends).
>
> By also considering the fact that the "-d DIR" solution does not prevent
> to add a "-l" in the future, I think minimality wins here (hence my
> "Yay" to your proposal in separate mail). YMMV.

What worries me is that some people may mistook those options as
arguments to "git clone" (something I already faced and argued against
on "debian-mentors"[1]). In that case "-b" is even a valid option for
it, but "-d" doesn't exists and "-l" (the same as "--local") does a
completely different thing (saves disk space when doing local copies).

I can't blame them, as when you see a Git URL the first thing that
pops on your head is how to clone it.

If this were a pool, I would follow Raphael Hertzog's path and votes
for "changing nothing".

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2016/04/msg00172.html