Open-CoArrays for gfortran?

Hi,

has anyone considered building gfortran for Debian with OpenCoarrays?

Fortran as of 2013  is now a PGAS language [2], allowing parallel programming.  It does this by adding co-arrays, allowing running images to access images on other nodes/cores directly rather than requiring MPI, etc. This allows for performance benefits under the hood as the compiler overlaps computation and communication .

gfortran as built allows this syntatically using libcaf_single, allowing coarrays to 'work' but not actually in parallel. It can be built using OpenCoArrays, apparently (I haven't tried this yet), which in turn uses mpich or openmpi.

Before I submit an ITP, has anyone in Debian investigated this?

best regards
Alastair McKinstry

[1] http://www.opencoarrays.org/

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitioned_global_address_space
--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair@sceal.ie>, <mckinstry@debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.