Re: Vcs-* and shared repos

On 2016-05-27 03:01:29, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> On 25 May 2016 at 17:09, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> > I'm convinced we will need at some point to document VCS packaging
> > layouts in a way that allow tools to use that information
> > programmatically. But right now that information will not be actionable,
> > whereas the subdirectory already is (for debcheckout and friends).
> >
> > By also considering the fact that the "-d DIR" solution does not prevent
> > to add a "-l" in the future, I think minimality wins here (hence my
> > "Yay" to your proposal in separate mail). YMMV.
>
> What worries me is that some people may mistook those options as
> arguments to "git clone" (something I already faced and argued against
> on "debian-mentors"[1]). In that case "-b" is even a valid option for
> it, but "-d" doesn't exists and "-l" (the same as "--local") does a
> completely different thing (saves disk space when doing local copies).
>
> I can't blame them, as when you see a Git URL the first thing that
> pops on your head is how to clone it.

That is a good point indeed. I'll think about it, but unless I find a
much nicer solution I'll go ahead with the current one.

At the moment I'm waiting to have some free time to look at the vcswatch
and debcheckout code to see how difficult would it be to implement -d
(or [dir=], which would work around the above issue).

> If this were a pool, I would follow Raphael Hertzog's path and votes
> for "changing nothing".

Well, I appreciate the desire to not break things [further], but doing
nothing doesn't solve my need :)

thanks for the feedback,
iustin