Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 11:14:53 +0000, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 18:32:28 +0800
>Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 1:41 AM, Marc Haber wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, I have heard your (it was you, wasn't it) talk in Heidelberg. I
>> > took with me that you plan to adopt a "once you're out of testing,
>> > you're out of stable for the next release, unless you're really
>> > really important" policy for stretch, which has put me in deep
>> > worry.
>>
>> Packages often get autoremoved from testing and then go back in
>> quickly once they are fixed, so I'm not sure that is correct.
>
>So this phrase:
>
>[during the latter half of our freeze]
>> > "once you're out of testing,
>> > you're out of stable for the next release, unless you're really
>> > really important"
>
>*is* correct *if* the original prefix is retained - and it shouldn't
>overly worry any developers. It's a necessary step to actually getting a
>release.

Are you actually saying that hamm, slink, woody, sarge, lenny,
squeeze, wheezy and jessie haven't been releases? We actually did
pretty well without that rule, and I find it deeply disturbing that
people are suddenly claiming that this - imo harmful - rule is
absolutely necessary to get a release.

There was a time when we released when it was finished. Now it seems
like we aim to release at all cost when the calendar says that we
should.

Greetings
Marc